16 weak phrases to avoid in content
As a writer, your job is to avoid writing the words in your writing which confuse the reader or do not clearly convey your message. So, when writing a technical document, specification, blog avoid using weak phrases. If you are new to technical writing and exploring the opportunity you can read our beginner’s guide.
They were found to be ineffective by NASA Software Assurance Technology Center and they recently updated the list :
This extra weak word or phrase can confuse, mislead or frustrate the readers. Avoid these small words can strengthen our writing and increase the reader engagement.
These word clutter the content rather making the writing clear.
- adequate – What is adequate for you may not be for others.
- as a minimum- How much is minimum
- as applicable- Not clear how much tax will be applicable 🙂
- easy- Can be difficult for me
- as appropriate- May not be for my son.
- be able to- I’m may not able to. So by now, you are clear about why to not use these kinds of stuff. Oh! Avoid stuff also, it is not recommended 🙂
- be capable
- but not limited to
- capability of
- capability to
- if practical
- provide for
If you are looking for training in technical writing please read Information Developers Foundation complete training program. Apart from online we also provide technical writing training in Bangalore, Pune, and Hyderabad.